Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Do you zoo? I do zoo.

KK:  The fun of my girl's trip with Mommy in Colorado continued!   On Saturday, July 7th, Mommy, Uncle Craig and I went to the Denver Zoo.   I'd been here before with Daddy, Dylan and Nana and we loved it, so we went to check out the new Elephant exhibit that wasn't open yet when we were here before.  
 We got there right before the opened and some of the exhibits weren't even open yet!  It was ok though because we got front row seats to the rest.   Wow - those penguins are fast!
 He and I both stopped for the photo opp - say "fish!"
 Playing with the Hippos.
 Riding the Hippos.
 Just kidding - they are not real!  Giddy up Hippo!!!  I just realized something funny - why is it called being a "cowgirl" if you are not riding a cow?  How are "cows" even involved?   Am I still a "cowgirl" when I'm riding a Hippo????   "Hippogirl" just sounds wrong.  "Cowgirl Kaitlyn" has a nice ring so I'm going with it for now.
 There was a whole huge section of the zoo we didn't have time for so we headed there first this time.   This included this awesome antique carousel - it moved FAST.   I think Mommy was dizzy.   Then we went to ride the choo choo train, always a favorite, but it was broken :(.  Bummer!
 We headed over to Bear Mountain and it was impressive.  We saw black bears and then this massive Grizzly.  WOW.  Check out his nails.   He was huge with scary claws and lightning fast reflexes. 
 I better not go too far past the fence because you can tell that even the other bear in the pen is afraid of the big one.  Yikes!
 Then we went to feed the Lorikeets.  These are colorful birds that like to drink sticky nectar from a little cup that we purchased.   It was hard to get to them - Mommy or Uncle Craig would lift me up and I'd spill nectar all over - I don't think we made it look very appetizing to come near our teetering tower of Kailtyn.
 Thankfully we finally found one down low enough for me to approach on my own.   Success! 
 Eventually it was our assigned time to enter the Elephant Passage, here we go!
 I'm glad I don't have Elephant Ears - they make my cool big glasses look too tiny.   
The facility was impressive - especially where we saw their smaller, extremely reinforced cages - talk about maximum security!   But there were actually not many animals to look at - a couple of elephants and some weird large bats. I'm not sure it was worth all the hype.
 On our way out we hit a few highlights from last time.  The lions, our favorite from last time, were not out today but instead we happened upon the hyenas.   Shhhhhhh - be very quiet, I think I see something behind me.......
 Seriously - talk about being up close and personal.   I am literally back to back with a huge hyena!!!!   If that glass wasn't there I could have pet him (or he could have eaten me.....details, details).
 They look a lot more scary and big when they are not sleeping....
 Then to our other favorite from last time - the kitties.   Ok, ok - the big, ferocious Tiger kitties.   They were playing - so cute!
And in Dylan's honor, last time he loved the Giraffes, so we visited them for my brother today too.
We had a blast together!!  
Next stop - Mustard's Last Stand for Hot Dogs and Fries!  This is the life!  I'd like to go on adventures every week.

On a side note, that afternoon I got to play with the Doggies and hang just with Uncle Craig - he was a great impromptu Baby Sitter.   I made him watch hours of cartoons and he didn't even mind.   Unfortunately, it was because my Mommy took my Nana to the hospital because her head was hurting so badly and she was very sick.    A few hours later and they were home - I was glad to see them but I was super sad to hear that they found an Aneurism in Nana's head.   I'm pretty sure I saw one of those at the aquarium, I'm not sure how it got into her head but it sounds icky.   I think she is going to talk to a Marine Biologist (or neurosurgeon) or something like that to see what to do next.  Sorry Nana :(.  


No comments:

Post a Comment